TEA CUP pictured on both cup & saucer
pictured on both cup & saucer
photo sent by
PORTRAIT of GEORGE PACE of Sheriff Hales, Shropshire
William Cherrington PACE
a grocer - chemist - pharmacist
William Cherrington PACE
PACE MEMORIAL at SEBETHA, Kansas
I visited SEBETHA, KANSAS - July 2008 - and took this photo after attending the
5 GEORGE PACE
+ MARIA CHERRINGTON
6 WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE - baptised 5 Sept 1822 MADELEY, Shropshire
US descendent says he's born 11 Feb 1819 Shifnal Shropshire - a pharmacist or chemist, as they're known in England and grocer - his uncle a KING originally had the Shifnal store, says another US descendent - died in 1918 at age 100 - Albany near SABETHA, Kansas. He is buried in Montrose Cemetery - interesting family notes by KANSAS CITY granddaughter - below
...+ wife # 1 ANNA HATHAWAY - 1st wife of Wm. & cousin - wed 1846 in England
- Three children born in England - Came to America in 1851 - Shortly after arrival in US ANNA HATHAWAY & 3rd child died
- 7 JESSIE M. PACE 1847-1927 b Shropshire Co England
+ MARSHALL BATTEY
- 8 Charlotte
- 8 Marshall
- 8 Jessie
- 7 WILLIAM HENRY PACE 1848-1928 b Shifnal Shropshire Co England
William's half-brother THOMAS JOSEPH PACE also wed a WILLIAMS sister+ MARY JANE WILLIAMS of ROME, New York - wed 1887
father ROBERT WILLIAMS of WALES
- 8 Nora Elizabeth (Nonnie) 1889-1907
- 7 Unknown Infant (died after arrival in United States)
WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE's first wife died
+ wife # 2 MARY ELIZABETH LAMBERTSON - of Wm.C.PACE - wed Aug 17 1854 Bellevue JACKSON Co IOWA - daughter of THOMAS PARKER LAMBERTSON 1790-1863 and MARGARET "Handy Peggy" JOHNSON 1800-1881 - born Dearborn Co Indiana May 21 1835 died Sept 7 1909 Albany Nehama Co Kansas buried Montrose Cemetery Sabetha Kansas
brother of Mary Elizabeth LAMBERTSON
married a sister of William Cherrington PACE
- 7 JANE CHERRINGTON PACE b. 1856 died 1944 Hiawatha, Kansas
+ PATRICK MacGILVERY in 1877
- 8 ANNIE MacGILVERY
- 8 WINFIELD MacGILVERY
- 8 MARY MARGARET MacGILVERY 1882-1963 wed a SHAW, later a GORDON
+WALTER WARING SHAW 1882-1957
- 9 RICHARD WARING SHAW 1906-1972
+ MARY GLEE WALTERS 1918-
- 10 RICHARD WARING SHAW II 1944-1998 of Dallas Texas
+ JANET DUNCAN
- 11 HEATHER SHAW
- 11 CHRIS SHAW
- 10 THOMAS LEWIS SHAW 1946-
- 11 LAURA SHAW
- 11 KEVIN SHAW
- 7 Mary Elizabeth PACE - 1858-1887 unmarried
bur Montrose Cemetery N of Sabetha Kansas
- 7 John Wellington PACE - b 1861 - d 1935 Inglewood CA
+ Addie COGWIN
- 8 Frank PACE - 1886-1940
- 8 George PACE - b 1888 d. after 1971
Living in Anahiem California
- 8 Margaret Mary PACE - b Dec 2 1893 Sabetha, Kansas d Jun 6 1969
+ Bert Leo SPRAGUE
- 7 George Cherrington PACE b 1862 d 1928 Portland, Multonomah Co.,Oregon
+ Abbie GREER in Sabetha, Kansas. No children of this union
- 7 Thomas Joseph PACE 1864-1923
click here - more below
Thomas' half-brother William Henry also married a WILLIAMS sister
+ Elizabeth Winifred WILLIAMS
- 1865-1949 - wed 1888 - of ROME, New York
- father ROBERT WILLIAMS of WALES
- 8 Mary Margaret PACE 1892-1983
+ Mr. ACKERMAN living in Kansas City, Mo 1972
- 8 Bertha Elizabeth PACE 1889-1981 living in Kansas City Missouri 1972
- 7 Margaret Ann PACE - 1867-1892 in Oregon; buried in Sabetha, Kansas
+ Dr. E. L. GOEGHAN (name later changed to Gogen) in 1886 in Albany, Kansas
of Benjamin Parker LAMBERTSON
became 2nd wife of William Cherrington PACE
6 Mary PACE b 6-28-1818 Madley, Shropshire England
died 6-6-1906 Wisconsin or Oakdale, Nebraska
+ # 1 - Benjamin Parker LAMBERTSON
son of Thomas Parker LAMBERTSON 1790-1863 & MARGARET "Handy Peggy" JOHNSON 1800-1881
He was born Apr 1 1819 DEARBORN Co INDIANA
& died May/June 16 1883 LAWRENCE Kansas.
MARY PACE - his 2nd wife. 1st wife was MARY ANN MORGAN of FRANKLIN Indiana
and by her he was the father of 6 children.
- 7 Campbell LAMBERTSON died in infancy
- 7 Lucy May LAMBERTSON b 6-7-1858 Bellevue, JACKSON Co Iowa
d 10-5-1945 in Oakdale, Nebraska and is buried in Lawrence, Kansas
+ # 1 Everhard BIERER Jr. who died before June 24, 1886
- 8 Benjamin E. BIERER lived and died at Council Bluffs, Iowa
- 9 Benjamin R. BIERER, Major C.W.S. U. S. Army
- 9 Mary BIERER lived in DENVER, Colorado 1964
+ # 2 Dr. HENRY H. RAY - died 1894 in Oakdale, Nebraska.
They were married June 24, 1886
- 8 CLIFFORD H. RAY d. 1964
+FLORENCE - who was living in Norfolk, Nebraska in 1971
- 9 ROBERT RAY
- 10 Unknown Child
- 10 Unknown Child
- 10 Unknown Child
- 10 Unknown Child
- 6 Margaret Maria PACE - born 29 JAN 1824 bap 19 July 1824 at MADELEY d 20 APR 1898 Humboldt, Allen Co, Kansas
+ William Miles BRAGG b 18 FEB 1823 in London, ENGLAND - m 23 MAY 1844 in ENGLAND - d 5 NOV 1905
click here - BRAGG descendents site of Allen HUME
- 7 William Edward BRAGG - b 11 Jul 1845 Chr 9 Aug 1845 Saint Bartholomew The Great Parish, London d 3 Oct 1845
- 7 Lucy Maria BRAGG - b 2 Aug 1846 Chr 2 Aug 1846 Saint Bartholomew The Great Parish, London d 3 Mar 1868
- 7 Elizabeth (Lizzy) BRAGG - b 23 Mar 1848 Chr 27 Apr 1848 Saint Bartholomew
- 7 Harry (Henry) BRAGG b 9 FEB 1850 in Shropshire
- 7 Margaret Ann (Maggie) BRAGG b 31 MAR 1852 in SHERIFFHALES, Shropshire d 22 Feb 1941 KANSAS CITY, Jackson Co, MO Burial: 25 Feb 1941 Mount Hope Cemetery, HUMBOLDT, Allen Co, KS
- 7 William Charles BRAGG - b 17 JUN 1855 in BELLEVUE, Jackson Co, Iowa d 7 Jan 1928 Parsons, Labette Co, KS
- 7 Alice Harriet BRAGG b 26 MAR 1857 in Bellevue, Jackson Co, Iowa
- 7 Percival Adney (Andy) BRAGG b 7 MAR 1859 in Bellevue, Jackson Co, Iowa
- 7 Edith Luella (Lula) BRAGG b 5 JUL 1861 in Bellevue, Jackson Co, Iowa
WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE and family members in IOWA & KANSAS
The family lived in four different towns in IOWA
- DeWITT, CLINTON, BELLEVIEW, and DUBUQUE.
Grandfather WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE owned and operated stores in each city.
They came to KANSAS in 1871
overland, in horse-drawn covered wagons, several milk cows trailing. They settled in old FAIRVIEW, Kansas, on a farm of which the new town of FAIRVIEW is now a part. In a few years they moved to a farm about two miles west of the village of ALBANY, Kansas. In 1882 they bought and moved to the ALBANY farm - the house is still standing - just a block or so south of the Albany school. In 1888 THOMAS JOSEPH and his wife ELIZABETH were married. They lived in part of the Albany house, where their daughters were born
.....from notes of Mary ACKERMAN - Kansas City 1974
granddaughter of William Cherrington PACE
to her grandchildren in 1974
who have sent me this information
In 1900 THOMAS JOSEPH PACE and wife ELIZABETH - bought their own farm, moving away from ALBANY.
Since Thomas was the last of the children left at the house, the grandparents were left alone. After the families of John W. and Jane McGillvray tried to live with the grandparents and failed, the grandparents moved to live with Thomas J. and wife on their farm, known as the Echo Lake Farm. In 1906 both families moved into Sabetha, Kansas, still living together. Grandmother (1835-1909) passed away in 1909. Grandfather continued to live on with Thomas J. and wife until he passed away in 1918.
are all buried in MONTROSE Cemetery in ALBANY, Kansas.
- GRANDFATHER and GRANDMOTHER PACE,
- Aunt MARY E.
- Aunt MAGGIE (Margaret Ann)
- Uncle WILL, his wife MARY JANE
always called Aunt MATE
- and their daughter NORA
Deed to the Pace lot is with the old papers.
If anyone should ever visit the cemetery, the CEDAR TREES on the PACE LOT were planted there by Grandmother PACE herself after her daughter MARY passed away, perhaps a hundred and fifteen years ago
.......from 1974 notes of MARY ACKERMAN nee PACE
- grandaughter of WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE
- and letters to her grandsons - March 1974
thanks to contributors - descendents in US & UK
Sue Sparkman, Texas - Thomas Shaw, Florida - Leonard Perry, Gloucestershire, UK
the following, posted in 1997 on the PACE Network
WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE
97-01-15 From firstname.lastname@example.org (Sue Sparkman)
Looking for data on WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE
born 2-11-1819 in Shifnal, Shropshire, England
and died 1919 near SABETHA, Kansas.
He was married twice.
- His first wife, ANN HATHAWAY
was a cousin, and they married in England. She died shortly after arriving in the U.S.&
- They were the parents of two or three children.
- WILLIAM married secondly to
MARY ELIZABETH LAMBERTSON on August 17th, 1854 in BELLEVUE, Jackson County, IOWA.
- They were the parents of 6 children.
- WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE'S sister
MARY PACE, married a brother of MARY ELIZABETH LAMBERTSON.
My name is Sue Eagle Sparkman (Mrs. George L.)
Mrs. George L. Sparkman(SUE) 1526 Berkley Drive
Mansfield, Texas 76063-2945
Re: SHROPSHIRE, Shifnal PACE, WILLIAM CHERRINGTON
08 Jun 1998 From Michael Gwilliam email@example.com To firstname.lastname@example.org
The following appears in the IGI for Shropshire:
- WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE baptised at MADELEY, Shropshire, on 5 September 1822 to GEORGE PACE - MARIA CHERRINGTON
Other entries that may be of help: -
- GEORGE PACE baptised at SHERIFF HALES, Shropshire on 12 August 1787 to JOSEPH PACE - Elizabeth MARIA CHERRINGTON baptised at SHIFNAL on 29 July 1780 to William Cherrington / Ann
And the following marriage: -
GEORGE PACE to MARIA CHERRINGTON at KEMBERTON on 16 May 1810.
Other baptisms of children of GEORGE and MARIA: -
- ...Anne Pace baptised 13 Jan 1816 Madeley;
- ...Eliz. Pace baptised 9 March 1815 Madeley;
- ...Joseph Pace baptised 21 July 1813 Madeley;
- ...Margaret Maria Pace baptised 19 July 1824 Madeley;
- ...Mary Pace baptised 2 Sept 1818 Madeley;
I strongly recommend you order film for these parishes, which are all within a few miles of each other, through your LDS Family History Centre to check and hopefully add to this information.
Re: US PACE decendents
- family of WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE of Shifnal, Tong, Sheriff HALES
15 Jun 1998 From: leonard perry email@example.com To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Most interested to hear of the PACE REUNION of CHATTANOOGA (June 1998) and the location of the grave of WILLIAM CHERRINGTON PACE in KANSAS.
His father GEORGE'S brother JOSEPH, was my direct ancestor and they were born in SHERIFF HALES, just north of TONG, Shropshire, England. We might be kin.
Len Perry - Gloucestershire UK
subject: Re: PACE FAMILY of Shifnal, Tong, Sheriff Hales, Shropshire
19 Jun 1998 From: leonard perry email@example.com To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Info on GEORGE PACES's parents:
- GEORGE was bapt 1787 Aug 12 at SHERIFF HALES, Shropshire
- son of JOSEPH & ELIZABETH PACE;
- JOSEPH PACE md ELIZABETH DAVIES at S.H. 1 May 1776 by licence
- this JOSEPH was bapt 23 Aug 1751 at S.H.
- son of JOSEPH & ELIZABETH.
- I am unsure about mother's name and marriage details.
choose a link
- tea cup - belonging to my paternal grandmother - ANNIE ARCH
- commemorative of QUEEN VICTORIA's GOLDEN JUBILEE celebration 1887
- SHOWS 1890s PHOTO of the SHIFNAL MARKET PLACE - my grandmother's favourite cup
- MARKET DAY in ENGLAND - shops closed up and folks went to their local market towns
- YOUNG FOLKS met future spouses here or at the chaples on Sundays
says John CULLWICK - another researcher, also having ancestry of SHIFNAL
and distantly related through my paternal great grandmother EMILY CULLWICK
- TOUR - short VIRTUAL look at Shropshire towns, etc.
- SHIFNAL on Wickipedia site
- top of page
- Pace - UK - index page -
- HOME PAGE